Top Watch Brands That Support the Arts
by roberta naas
A host of elite watch brands share our passion for the arts.
1. From Montblanc, this Homage to Nicolas Rieussec watch ($11,500), which celebrates the inventor of the chronograph, is crafted in stainless steel. The mono-pusher chronograph features a skeletonized hour hand for a second time zone indication. It is made in a limited edition of 565 pieces.
2. From Hermès, this Dressage Chronograph ($11,200) houses a Manufacture H1925 movement, named for the year that the first Hermès chronograph appeared.
3. This Movado Sapphire watch ($1,195) is crafted in yellow-gold-plated stainless steel and features a gold-toned signature dot on the dial. The Swiss watch is classic and yet current.
4. This Piaget Altiplano 40mm watch ($19,000) is crafted in 18k rose gold and houses the Piaget 838P ultrathin hand-wound mechanical movement.
Among watchmakers supporting the fine arts, Movado has commissioned world-renowned artists to create limited-edition timepieces, with a portion of proceeds going to the Movado Future Legends initiative, which nurtures artists with exceptional abilities.
Similarly, Montblanc’s decades-long patronage of the arts includes support for the 24 Hour Plays, a program that challenges adventurous writers, actors, and directors to create plays in 24 hours—from concept to script to performance—with proceeds from the wildly popular shows supporting arts education in public schools. The Montblanc Cultural Foundation, established in 1992, honors patrons of the arts in a dozen countries around the world, including the United States.
Piaget is the key sponsor of the Film Independent Spirit Awards, which honor performers, writers, directors, and producers of independent movies, and Hermès supports emerging artists via the Fondation d’entreprise Hermès. Last year, the company commissioned choreographers and a composer to create a new ballet, called Time in Motion, that explores the mechanics of time and dance.
For these watch brands, their commitment to the arts mirrors the dedication to design and craftsmanship that ranks their timepieces among the best in the world.
photography by jeff crawford; styling by terry lewis
The Most Authoritative Insight Into Time And Watches
- Superheroes on the Wrist: From Comic Book to Reality – Introducing Romain Jerome’s Batman-DNA
- Affordable Watch Wednesday: Introducing the Tissot T-Touch Solar Expert
- Collectors’ Corner: How Swatch Love Turned to Serious Watch Love
- Introducing the A. Lange & Sohne Lange 1 Tourbillon Handwerkskunst