3 Enchanting Moon-Phase Watches
by roberta naas
The moon has been a symbol of romance and eternity for countless generations, which may be why so many watch brands are putting effort into the development of specialty watches that depict the phases of the moon in ever more creative renderings.
Moon-phase timepieces operate via a small disk within the mechanics of the watch. The disk, often painted enamel or even lapis lazuli for added allure, rotates slowly, showing the waxing and waning moon cycles in a visually arresting fashion. Often, these watches feature stars and diamonds on the case or bezel for a little extra shimmer. Here, we single out three shining examples combining time and tide.
ABOVE, FROM LEFT:
1. This Glashütte Original ladies PanoMatic Luna watch ($19,800) houses an automatic movement as well as a Caliber 90-12, and offers a Panoramic date and moon-phase indication in an off-centered position on the diamond accented dial.
2. From Patek Philippe, this Ref 4968G mechanically wound Caliber 215 PSLU timepiece ($58,600) features a b lack mother-of-pearl dial engraved with a spiral decoration as well as a bezel and case set with 2.12 carats of diamonds. Crafted in white gold, the watch is water-resistant to 30 meters.
3. From Blancpain, this Quantieme Retrograde Calendar watch ($41,300) features a mother-of- pearl dial with off-center time indication at 6:00 and moon and stars aperture at 12:00. The blue hand indicates the date.
photography by jeff gale
The Most Authoritative Insight Into Time And Watches
- 5 Watch Brands Involved in Space Exploration: Breitling, Fortis, Bell & Ross, TAG Heuer, Zenith
- Omega Unveils Speedmaster Professional Apollo 11 LE watch to honor the 45th Anniversary of Man’s First Step on the Moon – Which I recall Perfectly …
- Close Up With the Girard-Perregaux Tri-Axial Triple Tourbillon (video)
- A Love Affair Put On Hold; Germany Takes the World by Storm Winning 2014 FIFA World Cup