Two wheels are better than four. A little biking goes a long way in reducing your carbon footprint. (image via)
Unlike the concrete jungles of other big metropolitan cities like New York or Chicago, Miami is surrounded by palm trees, vegetation, parks, and the ocean. Those of us lucky enough to live in this tropical paradise should be recycling the natural resources at hand. By incorporating the below tips into everyday routines, you’ll make a significant impact in maintaining our lush environment.
1. Buy local produce from your neighborhood farmers' market. Click here to find one nearby.
2. Ride a bike whenever you can. Deco Bike’s bike share system is available in Miami Beach, Surfside, or Bay Harbor Island.
3. Lunch boxes aren’t just for kids. Skip the brown or plastic bag and find a trendy reusable one—like this.
4. Wash your car on the lawn so the grass can absorb the excess water.
5. For those monsoon summer months, utilize a rain barrel to reuse rain water on your lawn.
6. Invest in a hybrid or electric car—the latest options span far beyond a Prius...
7. Working in Downtown or Brickell? Minimize commute time and emissions by taking the MetroRail.
8. Unplug all chargers and electronics—even hair dryers and curling irons—when they're not being used.
9. Wash your laundry in cold water whenever possible.
10. Turn off water when brushing teeth or shaving.