Outfit Inspiration: Madewell Spring Style
Look forward to bright new trends with looks from Madewell’s latest line.
January 03, 2012
It’s barely January but we’re already springing forward with looks from Madewell’s Spring line. Find your fair-weather wardrobe inspiration with these seven looks and standout trends.
New Year's Eve Hot Spots
Where to be when the clock strikes twelve.
December 27, 2011
Fontainebleau's Chateau building
What: Double your fun with the EC Twins
When: 9 PM, open bar until midnight
Where: SET, 320 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach
Why: EC Twins will be spinning their signature style house music.
How: Purchase tickets here
Price: General Admission tickets start at $150
What: Turn the Tides at New Year's Eve Dinner
When: First seating 8:30 PM
Where: King & Grove Tides South Beach, 1120 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach
Why: A festive dinner and perfect seats to enjoy the fireworks
How: Email email@example.com or call 305-604-5067
Price: Dinner begins at $150 per person
What: NYE at Fontainebleau
When: 7 PM
Where: Fontainebleau, 4441 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach
Why: Sebastian Ingrosso and Busta Rhymes take over the hotel's club, LIV, while Axwell performs poolside
How: Purchase tickets here
What: NYE Red Room Party by Diesel's Rosso Brothers
When: 8 PM
Where: The Pelican Hotel, 826 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach
Why: Andrea and Stefano Rosso, sons of Diesel brand owner Renzo Rosso, started the Red Room Party in Milano, and, throughout 2011, took it to Beijing, Moscow and NYC. But, for NYE, it's getting red hot in Miami!
How: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-673-3373
Price: $295, includes six-course dinner and a bottle of champagne per couple
What: Orange Drive Music Festival
When: Festival begins Friday, December 30th at 5:30 PM
Where: Different locations throughout the weekend
Why: It's a three day fiesta with Cee Lo Green, Ne-Yo, Cobra Starship, Gym Class Heroes, Boys II Men, and more
How: Purchase tickets here
Price: Starting at $117 for a day pass
What: A Smooth NYE
When: 9 PM - 12 AM
Where: Delano, 1685 Collins Ave, Miami Beach
Why: Grammy Award-nominee Robin Thicke will perform live
How: Purchase tickets here, email Nye.email@example.com or call 305-674-6152
Price: Starting at $150
Accessory Find: A Hunting Season Hobo Handbag
Hunting Season’s scarlet purse in snakeskin slithers into must-have handbag territory.
December 20, 2011
Miami has been producing stellar fashion talents of late, and Coral Gables native Danielle Corona ranks high on the list with her Hunting Season line of expertly crafted handbags. Officially launched with Barneys New York in 2009, the impeccable accessories line created from exotic skins and luxurious leathers can be found on the arms of South Florida’s well-heeled set. The label’s greatest showstopper? A red python hobo ($1,750)—the perfect holiday gift for the woman who seemingly has it all. Hunting Season handbags are sold at Barneys and Intermix stores nationwide. For an appointment at the Miami showroom, call 305-431-6284 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Gift Guide for Technology Lovers
Eight technologically advanced items for giving.
December 19, 2011
1. DIA Parrot by NoDesign Digital Photo Frame: New for Holiday 2011, the DIA Parrot by NoDesign is a digital photo frame that operates on the Android system and features separated LCD panels and reflected light that creates an effect similar to a modern light box. The frame also offers numerous connectivity options, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, email, an SD card slot and USB ports.
2. Parrot Zikmu Speakers by Philippe Starck ($3,400): Perfect for the home entertainer, the design aficionado or the serious audiophile, these Zikmu speakers—limited editions for holiday 2011—combine sophisticated wireless technology with the sleek artistry of renowned designer Philippe Starck. These wireless speakers feature a dedicated iPod/iPhone docking station and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technologies. They also communicate wirelessly with each other allowing them to be positioned anywhere in any room for intense, 360-degree sound with spectacular clarity. Available through Ron Robinson.
3. Jambox by Jawbone ($199): One of the best-selling speakers at Apple, Jambox wirelessly connects to smartphones, tablets and laptops, so you can listen to music, watch movies, play games or make phone calls wherever you are.
4. OnLive Game System: OnLive’s stocking-size game system and amazingly powerful gaming service provides a console-quality experience without bulky consoles. Sign up for a free account and jump into playing on virtually any display: TV, PC, Mac, iOS or Android-based tablets. With more than 150 games, OnLive offers amazing options in every genre with a massive online spectator arena allowing gamers to share and watch others play.
5. Nokia J Headset ($100): The award-winning Nokia J headset is beautifully crafted in stainless steel and provides superior sound. Voice-guided Bluetooth allows it to connect to two devices simultaneously and superior battery life allows for five hours of continuous talk or three months on standby. The Nokia J automatically turns on once removed from its holder, and with its noise-isolating in-ear design, auto volume control for surrounding noise and built-in DSP noise cancellation, calls are always crystal clear.
6. Computer Apparel Original V-Neck computer sleeve ($49.99–$69.99): This sleeve by Computer Apparel protects Apple products without cramping style. The trendy T-shirt design is made of 100 percent cotton, reinforced with multilayer-padding for protection, and is machine washable. The Original V-Neck sleeve is equipped with convenient pockets to stow chargers, papers and even your iPhone. With five vibrant colors to choose from and four different sizes, your gadgets will be dressed to impress.
7. Striiv Pedometer ($99): Though half the size of a credit card, the Striiv pedometer is like no other. It is powerful enough to play motivational walking video games, and each step taken is a step for charity—whether that means clean drinking water for a child in South America or an opportunity to save a portion of the rain forests.
8. Sector Shark Master Chronograph Watch: Sector, a global watch brand for the active, fashion-conscious consumer, combines the performance of a sports watch with sleek Italian design. The Shark Master Chronograph features rubber straps and a stainless steel black case and is water resistant to 200 meters. It also has a charitable component: A portion of the sales benefits the Kris Humphries Foundation, which is dedicated to fighting childhood obesity. “I have always been a watch enthusiast,” says Humphries, “and the Sector brand represents everything I’m about—an active lifestyle, competitive spirit and striving to be the best I can be.”
Read more from Joshua Estrin at popmuncher.com.
New Men’s Department at Neiman Marcus Bal Harbour
The Man’s Store gets a makeover.
December 16, 2011
The Man’s Store at Neiman Marcus Bal Harbour has reopened with an extreme makeover. The men’s department moved up from the first floor to the third and gained some serious square footage. Shops by Isaia, Brioni and Stefano Ricci are currently open with Tom Ford and Gucci hot on their heels. Shoppers can also expect new floors, fixtures and wall treatments. Ladies, don’t be jealous: The entire Bal Harbour store is undergoing renovations with completion slated for July 2012. The Man’s Store at Neiman Marcus Bal Harbour, 9700 Collins Ave., Bal Harbour, 305-865-6161
Beauty Gifts to Give
Nordstrom beauty and fragrance director Cheri Botiz shares five pretty products that will make for a lovely holiday.
December 16, 2011
Nordstrom, 7239 SW 88th St., Dadeland Mall, 786-709-4100; 4310 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Village of Merrick Park, Coral Gables, 786-999-1313
Weekend Watch: December 15–18
Start planning your weekend.
December 15, 2011
Photograph by Peter Vahan
Beach House Boutique Opening
WHY: Stacia Zielinski of South Miami’s Scarlett opens Beach House boutique in Fort Lauderdale, which carries brands such as Alice + Olivia and Cynthia Vincent, plus Rebecca Minkoff bags and Missoni scarves. Gentlemen will find Original Penguin, Old Harbour Outfitters and Ray-Ban.
WHERE: The Atlantic Resort & Spa (601 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., Fort Lauderdale)
WHEN: The opening party is Thursday, December 15 (6–10 PM) with complimentary cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, gift bags and valet.
Happy Hour at Edge
WHY: 2-for-1 specials on all wines by the glass, craft beers and cocktails
WHERE: Edge at the Four Seasons Hotel Miami (1435 Brickell Ave., Seventh Floor)
WHEN: Seven nights a week (3–7 PM)
What Women Want
WHY: Find cocktails, shopping and beauty treatments all in one place.
WHERE: Nikki Beach (One Ocean Dr., Miami Beach)
WHEN: Saturday, December 17 (2–5 PM)
HOW: RSVP here
Graffiti by Bike
WHY: Take a tour of Wynwood’s street art that debuted during Art Basel 2011
WHERE: Allapattah Station (3501 NW 12th Ave., Miami)
WHEN: Sunday, December 18 (1–4 PM)
HOW: BYOB (bring your own bike)
Neiman Marcus Facial Event
WHY: Chanel, Dior and Sisley-Paris will offer facials
WHERE: Neiman Marcus (390 San Lorenzo, Coral Gables)
WHEN: Friday, December 16 (10 AM–8 PM)
Miami City Ballet’s Nutcracker
A holiday tradition continues.
December 15, 2011
The Miami City Ballet’s annually ethereal performance of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker begins this weekend at the Adrienne Arsht Center and dances into Broward Center next week with the last performance staged on the afternoon of Christmas Eve. Flip through MCB’s online Nutcracker storybook here.
Adrienne Arsht Center (1300 NE Biscayne Blvd.)
December 15 (7:30 PM)
December 16 (7:30 PM)
December 17 (2 PM & 7:30 PM)
December 18 (1 PM & 6:30 PM)
Broward Center (201 S.W. Fifth Ave., Ft. Lauderdale)
December 21 (7:30 PM)
December 22 (2 PM & 7:30 PM)
December 23 2 PM & 7:30 PM)
December 24 (1 PM)
A Python Proenza Schouler PS 1 Bag
A new take on the classic PS 1.
December 14, 2011
The Elle Décor Showhouse Prepares to Pack Up
Don’t miss the final weekend of this 10,000-square-foot masterpiece.
December 14, 2011
You’ve got one more weekend to take in the regal Elle Décor Showhouse. Originally a satellite exhibit of Design Miami, the showhouse stayed open to the public with tours offered Thursdays through Sundays. Situated on the 43rd floor of Paramount Bay, the house is a breathtaking 10,000 square feet curated by a team of the world’s top interior designers and decorators. Tickets ($25) benefit Miami’s DASH (Design Architecture Senior High). (December 15–18, 11 AM–6 PM) Paramount Bay, 2020 N. Bayshore Dr.