Women's Watch Trend: Artistic Dials
by roberta naas
Fashion houses are bringing high-end timepieces to new heights of craftsmanship and style by paying homage to the season’s hottest couture and ready-to-wear looks. These smart interpretations echo the dynamic drape of luxe fabrics and the glitter of the most stunning gowns that grace the runways of New York and Paris.
While some labels have turned to creating their own movements, others incorporate top-of-the-line Swiss movements so they can focus their attention on styling and craftsmanship. Indeed, the concept of offering more artistic dial designs has taken center stage, and the new generation of designer watches is more a statement of quality and individuality than ever before.
Dials are often offered in rich mother-of-pearl, sometimes showcasing inlaid marquetry patterns; others boast stunning enamel. Diamond or gemstone accents abound, although more brands are using subtler embellishments inspired by nature’s beauty, such as cane or feathers.
What makes this new interest in artistic and creative elegance even better: These watches have become available across all retail price points, offering something for every woman of good taste.
LEFT, FROM TOP:
1. From Chanel, this La Constellation du Lion Mademoiselle Privé watch ($169,700) is a luxurious work of art as well as a precise timekeeper. Inspired by the zodiac constellation, the 18k white-gold watch features a blue translucent enamel dial with Leo gracing the top portion of the face and a shooting star in gold accenting the lower portion.
2. This Dior Christal Blue ($7,200) 38mm timepiece houses an automatic movement and features a bracelet decorated with blue sapphire crystal elements. The blue mother-of-pearl dial is meticulously set with diamonds.
3. This Vanitas watch ($1,695) from Versace features Italian styling and Swiss movement. It features a blue enamel dial with a baroque design. The 40mm watch is crafted in stainless steel with a greca pattern.
Photography by Jeff Gale; styling by terry lewis
The Most Authoritative Insight Into Time And Watches
- Collectors Hooked on Swatch Watches
- Why Watch Lovers Should Pay Closer Attention to Arnold & Son (and a look at the Double Tourbillon Escapement Dual Time)
- Horror and Horology: Introducing Devon’s Ghost and Bloody Mary
- Loving the Platinum Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Tourbillon Chronograph (original pics, price)