9 Waterproof Watches for Pool Season
by roberta naas
During the day, don a water-resistant rubber-strapped watch beautifully adorned with diamonds or sapphires.
CLOCKWISE FROM LEFT:
1. Audemars Piguet’s Ladies Royal Oak Quartz watch ($24,400) is crafted in 18k rose gold and features a white rubber strap and a bezel set with 40 brilliant-cut diamonds. It is water-resistant to 50 meters.
2. This Hublot Big Bang Tutti Frutti watch ($40,500) features 48 pink sapphires on its 18k rose-gold bezel in an invisible setting, with a bezel lug of pink composite resin and a matching pink rubber alligator strap.
3. Breitling’s steel Chronomat 41 with diamonds ($15,900) has an Antarctica white dial, a diamond-adorned case, and a white rubber strap. It’s also an automatic COSC-certified chronometer.
4. From Ulysse Nardin, the Lady Diver ($11,700), water-resistant to 100 meters, features a wave pattern across its mother-of-pearl dial and a blue rubberized bezel. Diamonds adorn the dial, bezel, and case.
With swim season upon us, day and night parties abound at the chicest pools. People travel from around the world to attend these fashionable fêtes, decked out in the sexiest designer swimwear by day and the most elegant couture resort wear by night. What better way to complement this poolside finery than with a stylish Swiss watch that doesn’t mind getting wet?
“We’re seeing sales go up sharply for women’s water and diver’s watches,” says Amit Dev Handa, luxury timepiece concierge at the Mandarin Oriental. “These timepieces make a statement and offer great versatility. Women are wearing them as much to a business lunch or an elegant dinner as they will for a dip in the pool.”
At night, you’ll dazzle in a watch that’s crafted in 18k gold, set with sparkling diamonds, and suitable for a midnight dip in the pool.
CLOCKWISE FROM LEFT:
1. Chopard’s Happy Sport Automatic watch ($41,240), in rose gold with a rose-gold bracelet and silvered dial, has a bezel set with 38 diamonds as well as seven moving diamonds, for a total of 2.31 carats. It is water-resistant to 30 meters.
2. With a taupe strap and golden brown dial, this Patek Philippe Ladies Nautilus Ref. 7010R-012 watch ($34,000) has a bezel meticulously set with diamond brilliants and is water-resistant to 60 meters.
3. This 34mm Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150M Co-Axial chronometer ($35,800) is crafted in 18k yellow gold and is water-resistant to 500 feet. It has a diamond brilliant bezel and diamond markers on its mother-of-pearl dial, which is designed to recall the wooden decks of luxury sailboats.
4. The ultrachic quartz-powered Cartier Tank Anglaise watch ($36,200), in 18k pink gold, is set with brilliant-cut diamonds. It features a sapphire crystal and a silvered and lacquered dial and is water-resistant to 100 feet.
5. From Vacheron Constantin, this Overseas Lady watch ($31,700) in 18k rose gold houses a self-winding movement and is water-resistant to 50 meters. The bezel is set with 88 brilliant-cut diamonds, and the taupe strap is made of hand-sewn, saddle-stitched American alligator leather.
photography by jeff crawford; styling by terry lewis