While cannabis advocates have proudly seen legalized medical marijuana extend across a growing number of states every election season, there is still considerable work to be done when it comes to cannabis patients’ rights. A considerable portion of the United States has ruled medical cannabis legal, but MMJ is still legal in a handful of states, as well as at the federal level. It’s important to understand that even if you live in a medical cannabis state, the widespread legality of MMJ still affects you. This is especially true if you’re hoping to travel with marijuana.
Because cannabis is still considered federally illegal and has yet to be approved in several U.S. states, bringing it across state lines or the U.S. border can be complicated. We’ve put together a short and sweet guide to traveling with medical marijuana, so you can make an informed decision and avoid unpleasant surprises on the road.
Flying with Cannabis
Our best tip for traveling by plane with cannabis? Try to avoid it. The TSA is a federal agency, meaning that all federal regulations and laws apply to you as an air traveler. Even if both your starting point and final destination are weed-legal states, you run the risk of encountering issues at airport security.
The best-case scenario is that TSA doesn’t find your cannabis, because they technically are searching for dangerous substances or weapons, not MMJ. However, if they do find marijuana on you, they’ll likely confiscate it. Worst case scenario? They’ll hand you over to local law enforcement, and you’ll definitely miss your flight.
Driving with Cannabis
Traveling by car with cannabis is easier than flying, especially if you’re staying in your home state. If you’re planning to cross state lines, check to be sure that you’re headed to a cannabis-legal state. Never attempt to cross the U.S.-Canada border with marijuana, and don’t drive into a state where marijuana is illegal – at best, you’ll have all your marijuana confiscated. At worst, you’ll be facing serious charges.
Tips for Traveling with MMJ
If you’re planning to hit the road and bring your cannabis with you, there are a few tips you’ll want to keep in mind:
• Always have your medical marijuana card on hand, whether you’re hanging around your hometown or traveling.
• Keep your cannabis responsibly stored in a closed container, preferably out of sight if you’re driving a vehicle. Consider placing your cannabis in the trunk of your vehicle – even if you’re staying within the borders of an MMJ-legal state.
• If you’re driving with cannabis in the car, avoid giving law enforcement a reason to pull you over. Follow all traffic laws, drive safely, and make sure your vehicle is up to code (no broken lights, proper license tags, etc.)
• If law enforcement pulls you over, keep your attitude respectful. Remember that you have the right to remain silent and don’t necessarily have to consent to a search.
• Keep in mind that even with an MMJ prescription, driving under the influence of cannabis is illegal.
Trust FLUENT Cannabis for All Your MMJ Needs
With 18 dispensaries across Florida as well as locations in Puerto Rico and Pennsylvania, FLUENT is changing the way you shop for medical marijuana. Whether you’re an experienced MMJ patient or just beginning your cannabis journey, FLUENT is here to help you learn more about how medical cannabis.
Learn more about what sets FLUENT apart and explore our extensive selection of premium cannabis by visiting your nearest dispensary today
Photography by: Fluent Cannabis Marketing Team